Click Based Trigger
Pre-requisites: You will need to have ‘Write’ permissions to the Conversations resource set to setup Click Based Triggers in ZI Chat.
Engaged visitors on your website interact with different parts of it, a link here, a button there, etc. It is vital to ensure that each of these actions drives the visitor towards a successful sales conversation.
Click-based triggers help you configure a bot to activate when a visitor interacts with elements on your website. You can walk these highly engaged visitors through specific conversation flows or connect them directly to an agent.
PS: You can invoke ZI Chat based on form submissions. To learn more about Form-based acceleration, check out this article.
Benefits of employing Click based triggers on your website:
- The conversion rate improves drastically when an agent directly engages with an active visitor and engages with different elements on your website.
- Don’t be one among many emails in your prospect’s mailbox. Data collection will ensure that your hot leads engage and convert with ease through a built-in data capture step.
- When visitors click on different elements, their engagement rate is high at that time, and they would respond positively to conversations. Hence, real-time chat through bots at that time results in better engagement.
Setup click-based triggers
There are three dimensions you would need to keep in mind when you design a click-based chat activation experience for your website visitors:
- Trigger conditions on your webpage: Identify buttons and links that should result in conversation triggers.
- The target conversation: The conversation should be shown to a visitor based on a successful button/link click.
- Nature of conversation: Bot or human-first conversation.
To set up a click-based trigger, follow the steps below:
- Create a new conversation or locate an existing conversation where you would like to set up click-based triggers.
- The options to configure trigger conditions are available in the Audience tab. Choose the 'Element Click' option in the Rule options.
3. Enter the webpage URL where your desired element is present and click the ‘Fetch Element’ option. This will open up a new window with your target web URL.
Enter webpage URL
4. Now navigate to your target webpage and locate the button or link element that you would like to track as a trigger condition.
5. Click on the Button or Link of your choice, and now you would notice your selection is highlighted. An option to save your choice will appear in the form of a ‘Save’ button.
6. Click ‘Save’ to set up a bot trigger for the selected element. This will bring you back to the Audience page.
When a link is selected, the bot is triggered only when the link redirects to pages within the same domain. If the link redirects to any URL outside the domain, the bot trigger will not function.
Navigation and selection options in click-based triggers
- Navigate: The Navigate button allows you to traverse your website and locate elements that you would like to configure a click-based bot trigger for.
- Choose Element: This option allows you to select an element on your website.
- Save: The save option is shown only when an element is selected. Clicking on the ‘Save’ option will save and map the element for click-based triggering.
How does ZI Chat resolve an element on your website?
ZI Chat uses CSS Selectors to identify elements on your website. We recommend using an ID of your website elements for optimal performance.
This selector may need changes if the layout of the website is modified. To avoid this, you can add a custom ID to the element.
What happens when an ID is unavailable for an element?
Priority rules exist to ensure ZI Chat identifies the correct element to trigger the chatbot.
Priority rules (Highest to lowest)
- ID or Custom ID
- CSS Selectors
Employing Click based chat triggers on your site - Tips
You can select and map a single button or link as a trigger in the same rule. To select multiple buttons or links, create new rules and repeat the click-based trigger configuration process.
You can also add multiple rules and cascade button and link triggering using 'OR' conditions and map these triggers to the same conversation. You can also map each button to link to different conversations.
Setting up a Click based trigger on your website.
Visitor experience - Click based triggering.
Here is a gif showing how your visitor will experience a click-based trigger on your website.
Conversation priority rules govern which conversation will execute first on your website.
Setting up Click Based Triggers for elements on your page header
You can trigger the chatbot based on elements in the website header which are available on multiple pages.
This will eliminate your need to reconfigure the click-based trigger for the same element across multiple pages.
Enabling the element to trigger across multiple web pages:
- Enter the webpage URL and select the button/element on the page header/footer.
- Click Save to select the element.
- Next, Enable the Global configuration checkbox. This will cause the chat to pop up on all pages where the element is identified.
- Next, provide a name to your click element to save the conversation and make it live.
Note: The click elements are accurately identified across multiple web pages based on the Element id, we, therefore, recommend having an id or a custom id for the elements that you would like to use across your website to invoke the chat widget.
How webpage navigation affects which bot is shown
- Submitting a form or a click-based trigger: It opens a new bot conversation in the current tab.
- Opening a new tab with the same webpage URL: It opens the same bot conversation in the current tab and the new tab.
- Click-based triggers help your organization accelerate inbound prospects based on their website's activity: Element clicks.
- Setup Click based chat activation from Audience → Element Click.
Please feel free to write to us at email@example.com or chat with us from the chatbot if you have any questions