Create Leads in Marketo
Pre-requisites: To Create new leads in Marketo, you would need to have ‘Write’ permissions to the ‘Integrations’ resource set.
You can create leads in Marketo by mapping your Marketo Lead object with Insent through Field Mapping in Insent. Field mapping allows you to define and map Marketo fields to the Insent Lead object and keep your Marketo instance updated with the freshest and most contextual lead information.
Benefits of creating new leads in Marketo
- Insent helps you create new leads in Marketo whenever you capture visitor data through forms on your website or through the Insent conversation flow.
- Your agents can create new leads or update existing lead information from their daily business communication tools - Slack, and MS Teams.
- Improve your lead nurturing efforts by enrolling new leads in specific marketing campaigns in Marketo.
- Setup conversations for your leads and prospects that meet specific criteria (visited website 3 times, or viewed a specific page or website session was over 30 seconds long, etc.) through Insent fields and Dynamic fields.
- Set up personalization elements in a conversation flow by setting up Condition rules that execute based on Marketo fields mapped to Insent fields.
In this article, we will discuss how you can set up Insent to create leads in Marketo through Field mapping. This is the third article in a five-part series to get started with Marketo.
- Setup the Marketo API
- Integrate Insent with Marketo
- Create Leads in Marketo
- Target visitors based on Marketo lists
- Push Insent Chat Log to Marketo
Go to Settings → Integrations and locate the Field Mapping tab. The Field Mapping tab allows you to map all your fields from Marketo to the Insent Lead object. You can view the list of existing mapped fields in the Field Mapping tab. Refer to the Field Mapping article to learn more.
Add source fields to be mapped to the Insent field object from the ‘Add Field’ button.
After clicking the ‘Add field’ button, a pop-up screen will open up. You can map fields from Marketo to the Insent field object on this screen. You can view a list of all Marketo source fields that can be mapped to Insent.
You can choose a default Insent field from the ‘Insent field name’ dropdown or create a custom field from the same dropdown to map your Marketo fields. Choose the source fields from Marketo and list them in the order of priority. You can map one or more source fields to an Insent field.
Click 'Save' to complete mapping fields. You should see a notification that your field mapping is successful.
The fields are mapped in the order of priority in the field mapping pop-up. The number listed next to each field under the ‘Source field name’ indicates the order of priority, the number 1 indicates 1st priority, 2 indicates 2nd priority, etc.
The order of priority influences which field is prioritized by Insent for targeting and personalization. More on priority rules later in the article.
Note: If you currently use other MAPs like HubSpot or Pardot or CRMs like Salesforce, you can map fields from different MAPs or CRMs to the same Insent field and define priority rules that dictate which source fields are prioritized.
What is the 'Overwrite' option next to each field?
Turning on the ‘Overwrite’ option enables you to write data collected in Insent to your Marketo fields. Choose whether you would like to write data to Marketo or other sources by turning on the ‘Overwrite’ option for each source field. This would allow you to enrich your MAP/CRM platforms with the latest data you capture in Insent.
'Overwrite' option should always be turned on for the Marketo Email Address field.
If 'Overwrite' is not enabled, then no other mapped Marketo fields will be written back, and lead creation will not be successful.
You should map the Marketo Email Address field to the Insent Lead Object and enable the ‘Overwrite’ option for the Marketo Email Address field to be able to create new leads in Marketo.
Required field mapping for Lead creation in Marketo
To create a lead in Marketo, you should map the Marketo Email Address field(Lead) with the Insent Email (Lead) field. The Marketo Email is a required field to create a new lead in Marketo.
We recommend you map all of your fields with Marketo to ensure that the lead profile is populated based on data captured in Insent.
Note: You can currently map a Marketo source field to only one Insent field at a time.
Priority Rules - Field Mapping
Insent allows you to define the order of priority that governs how data is read from Marketo and other sources. The data available in the first priority field will be considered by default for targeting and personalization through the mapped Insent field.
If the source field in the first priority is empty, then the source field value in the second priority will be read by the Insent field object and used for targeting. Similarly, if the first and second priority fields are empty, the third priority field is read and used for targeting.
Priority rules in Insent help ensure that your highest quality data is used for visitor segmentation in the Audience tab, where you can use accurate information for targeting visitors.
Mapping multiple fields and arranging them in the order of priority will ensure that the right data is used for personalization through Greeting messages or Condition-based rules in the Conversations builder.
Note: You can currently map a MAP or CRM source field to only one Insent field.
You can identify an existing source field in the Field Mapping tab through the filter option.
After Field Mapping: What Happens?
Identity Resolution based on Marketo Cookie
- The identity of a visitor is resolved based on the Marketo Cookie. Learn more about Cookie resolution here.
- Visitor data is automatically populated to the mapped Insent fields based on the Lead information in Marketo.
Identity Resolution based on Email submitted in Insent
- When a visitor manually submits an email through Insent, their identity is resolved from Marketo.
- Information about the identified visitors is read from the integrated platforms, and the data is read based on priority rules set up in the field mapping.
Reading data from Marketo
- Marketo fields are read in the order of priority that they are mapped to an Insent field.
- Marketo fields will be read even if 'Overwrite' is disabled for a specific source field.
Writing data to Marketo
- Mapped Insent fields are updated immediately as soon as new data is captured by the bot or through a visitor profile update by an agent.
- Mapped Dynamic Insent fields are updated in the Marketo in 60-second intervals.
List availability in Audience
- Static and Smart Lists are available immediately in the Audience rules list after the integration process is complete.
- Marketo Lists can be used for audience targeting in Insent.
- Field mapping in Insent helps you map source fields from Marketo to the Insent Lead object.
- Map multiple source fields to an Insent field and set up priority rules to dictate which field should be prioritized by Insent for targeting and personalization.
- You can currently map Marketo fields to one Insent field at a time.
- You will need to enable the ‘Overwrite’ option to write data that you capture from your visitors to Marketo.
Please feel free to connect with our Customer Success team for any further questions on firstname.lastname@example.org or Chat with us through the Insent Chat Widget!